New Veterans and Service Members

Step 1

Apply to ECU 

Step 2

Once you are admitted, please speak with our Vet Success on Campus Counselor, Kim Treece, to talk about your benefits and next steps.  Her email is

Step 3

If you have served or are serving in the U.S Army, U.S Navy, U.S Marine Corps or U.S Coast Guard submit your Joint Services Transcript ( ECU so your military experience can be evaluated for transfer credit.If you have served or are serving in the U.S Air Force, contact the Community College of the Air Force to have your transcript sent to ECU.

Step 4

Apply for Federal VA benefits if necessary. Make sure to save a copy of the VA application for your records.  Sign up for a premium E-benefit account.  It’s free and it provides a lot of information about your VA benefits.

Step 5

Apply for Federal Financial Aid by filling out the FAFSA.

Step 6

Sign up for classes and register for an orientation at ECU.  Once you have registered for classes, make sure you fill out the Request for Benefits form.

Step 7

Send DD-214’s and/or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBEs), Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to our office.  We need to have your DD-214 or NOBE on file in order to give you priority registration.